My Green Smoothie
As parents, we tend to take care of everyone else first. We get what’s left over. Making these smoothies on a regular basis is my way of being good to myself. Making sure I get what I need. If I am carrying a heavy workload, I will make one before bed and grab it as I head out the door. They are cleansing, energizing and healing. Green smoothies have honestly changed my life.
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1-inch knob ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 small apple, skin on roughly chopped
- 4-inch piece piece cucumber, chopped about 1/3 cucumber
- 1/2 banana
- 2 cups packed spinach and/or kale or beet greens
- 1/2 cups parsley stems ok too
- 1 scoop favourite protein powder optional
- 1-2 Tbsp ground flax optional
Fill a blender with the water and lemon juice.
Add in remaining ingredients starting with the denser ones, like the ginger and apple. Blend until you have a smoothie-like consistency, 1–3 minutes depending on the brand of blender.
• Greens that are high in iron, like spinach, are absorbed more easily by your stomach when eaten with an acid like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
• I went without a quality blender for a very long time. Everyone I knew had one, but I always came up with some excuse not to splurge. Then I got a good one and it changed my life. This is not some plug to go out and spend a fortune on a blender, but I am saying I use my blender everyday—it has made my life easier and I am healthier for it.