Mixed Mushroom-Tomato Soup
Turn those mushrooms into a soothing super healthy soup that are full of antioxidents. Easy to make in less than 30 minutes.
- 3 Tbsp oil or melted butter diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced, can use celery tops/leaves as well
- 1/2-1 lb mixed mushrooms (such as portobello, button, cremini, shitake, whatever mushrooms you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme 1 Tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano 1 Tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Pinch salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or white/red/balsamic/rice wine vinegar
Optional Add Ins:
- 2 cups chopped hardy greens of choice such as spinach, kale, swiss chard
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast or to taste
In a large sauce pot over medium heat add oil and saute onions for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add in garlic and celery and continue to saute for an additional 3-5 minutes so celery slightly softens.
Add mushrooms and stir coating them in the oil, adding more oil if necessary. Let cook for about 5 minutes. A little browning is ok.
Add in tomato paste, broth or stock, thyme and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
If adding hardy greens, stir in at the very end of cooking to just wilt through.
Stir in your vinegar and taste. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary. If using Parmesan you can add this now.