Looking for a show stopping side dish to add to your holiday table? These mini squash are not only pretty to look at but are packed with healthy grains and hearty greens.
Mini Stuffed Squash
- 3 mini squashes 3-4 inches high/wide, such as honey nut, buttercup, hubbard or sweet dumpling
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 cup quinoa cooked according to package instructions
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups hearty greens washed and chopped, such as kale
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2/3 cup dried currants
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and dry squash, cut in halves and scoop out seeds. Save seeds for roasting if you would like.
- Brush inside of squash with olive oil and lay on a lined sheet pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1/2 hour.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Stir in onions, bell pepper, thyme, sage and greens and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked quinoa, dried currants and pumpkin seeds and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust with more salt or pepper if needed.
- Remove squash from the oven. Fill the squash with quinoa mixture and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until squash is cooked through.
Photography by https://www.ryanhegarty.ca/