A bread pudding recipe: probably the most decadent and delicious way to use up stale bread and baked goods.
I had never been a fan of bread pudding until I started seeing it and trying it more and more in bakeries and cafes. From stale baguettes to dried out cinnamon rolls (or any combination in between) you can easily make a bread pudding at home that can be served up in the morning (sliced, toasted and buttered with jam), for lunch (with dollops of yogurt and fresh fruit) or for dessert at night (warm with ice cream). The trick to making a really great one is cutting the bread into small cubes and soaking it in a super flavourful custard (that does not necessarily have to be too sweet).
Use things like vanilla and warming spices like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, or ginger to boost flavor OR/add a sprinkle of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, or chopped chocolate (maybe you’ve got some Easter leftovers) to add unique flare.
Sweet Potato, Cardamom and Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 1 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 6-7 cups stale bread or pastries torn or sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk, cream, or plant based beverage
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- pinch salt
- sprinkle raw nuts or seeds
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 X 9 inch square or medium-size baking dish or loaf pan with butter or oil.
- For the Bread: Place the bread pieces into the baking dish. Toss with chopped chocolate.
- For the sweet potato custard: In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, bring the milk and sugar to a low simmer. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the eggs withspices, sweet potato, and salt. Add the warm milk in a slow, steady streamwhile whisking to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, toss to coat, and let sit for 10 minutes. This can also be done up to 24 hours in advance and left to soak in the fridge, covered. Before baking sprinkle a handful of raw nuts or seeds on top.
- Bake until the pudding is set and the bread is nicely browned on top, about 20 minutes.
Did you love my sweet potato, cardamom and dark chocolate bread pudding recipe? Check out my other bread pudding recipe with stuffed squash here! Also, be sure to follow my Instagram page for more up to date tips and tricks!
Gⲟod artіcle. I will be going through some of these issues as well..