Tired of making pies out of rhubarb? Try using up your excess in something savoury instead. Being so tart, with a texture similar to celery, it makes sense that it totally can be used in savory preparations like this simple Rhubarb Chutney.
This Spring Rhubarb Chutney is the perfect way to perk up the flavour of grilled proteins, burgers or tacos.
- 1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped or 2 shallots
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Pinch salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Optional Add Ins
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped apricots.
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- In a medium sized saucepot add in sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and spices. Bring to boil and lower to simmer until sugar has disssolved.
- Add in onion and rhubarb and season with salt and pepper. Add in any Optional Add Ins at this point. Bring back to simmer until rhubarb is softened, about 5 minutes.
If you enjoy sweet treats, you can check out my other sweet dishes here! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more recipes, tips and more!
CategoriesAll Recipes Produce