Tired of making pies out of rhubarb? Try using up your excess in something savoury instead. Being so tart, with a texture similar to celery, it makes sense that it totally can be used in savory preparations like this simple Rhubarb Chutney.
- 1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped or 2 shallots
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Pinch salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Optional Add Ins
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped apricots.
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- In a medium sized saucepot add in sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and spices. Bring to boil and lower to simmer until sugar has disssolved.
- Add in onion and rhubarb and season with salt and pepper. Add in any Optional Add Ins at this point. Bring back to simmer until rhubarb is softened, about 5 minutes.