This spiced Moroccan tofu dish is my vegan take on a classic tagine where I swap out meat for tofu and add the addition of a few hearty vegetables. This is a wonderfully spiced, fragrant one-pot wonder. Serve on its own or overtop your choice of cooked grains like couscous or wild rice. I love how in a pinch I can swap out traditional soaked dried apricots with a fruit first spread and with the release of Bonne Mamans new Intense line of fruit spreads, this recipe came to mind. The rich, earthy, briny flavours of the spices and olives pair perfectly with Bonne Maman’s Intense apricot spread.
I hope you enjoy my spiced Moroccan tofu and vegetable tagine recipe as much as I do! Check out my other recipes for more plant based-inspired dishes.
This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman. I only write about things I love and my words and thoughts are 100% my own.
Moroccan Spiced Tofu Tagine with Apricot
- Dutch oven or large heavy bottom pot
- 2 blocks (700g) firm tofu, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 204 Tbsp extra firm tofu, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 onions, diced or thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger or 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch saffron optional
- 1 hot chili of choice, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2-3 cups chopped cauliflower florets,
- 1 cup chopped rutabaga
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 16 olives of choice pitted
- 1/2 cup Bonne Maman Intense Apricot Spread
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- In a large bowl toss tofu cubes with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to season.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven with lid, over medium high heat, add oil to coat bottom. Once hot, browntofu on all sides, about 8 mins. Transfer to plate.
- In the same pot/pan, stir in onions, garlic, and all remaining spices, adding more oil and lowering heat, if necessary. Sauté for about 5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower and rutabaga and let sauté in spices for about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, olives, Bonne Maman Intense Apricot spread, and 1 cup of stock. Bring to simmer. Add tofu to coatin stew, cover and continue to let simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp. Add more stock if necessary.
- Taste, adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper, hot chili, or apricot spread. Serve hot with optional garnishes.