I join the crew on The Social CTV to talk about how to use your freezer to keep things fresh and lasting longer.
If you missed my segment, you can catch it right here.
Lemon, Seed & Spice Loaf
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ¾ cup honey warmed if too thick
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil +extra for greasing
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp ground pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1¾ cup spelt or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground anise or cardamom
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together wet ingredients with lemon zest and seeds. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk remaining dry ingredients together.
- Stir dry into wet ingredients until just combined. The batter will be on the runny side but don’t worry.
- If wanting to add frozen wild blueberries, fold into batter now.
- Pour into greased pan and bake 30–40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Put it in a Pesto
- blender, food processor or mortal & pestal
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼-½ cup nuts/seeds
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, pecorino Romano, or nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 cups packed- chopped mixed herbs and/or greens
- ½-⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- In a blender, food processor or a mortar and pestle, purée garlic with cheese and nuts. Add in herbs and/or greens and continue to process, blend or mash to desired consistency.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while processing to incorporate.
- Add the salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Check out my other kitchen tips, and follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more news on appearances and recipes.
CategoriesAll Recipes Produce Waste Free Tips