Uses Up: tofu, strawberries, garlic, soy sauce.
Summertime screams barbecue and fresh strawberries. But, if you are anything like me, you can get carried away buying too many of those precious, plump, juicy local strawberries we have been waiting for all summer. This spicy chipotle barbecue strawberry tofu marinade is one of my go-to, waste free recipes for when my strawberries are getting a little mushy. The marinade can be used on more than just tofu, so try it on any protein yearning for a flavor boost.
If you are going to marinate tofu, you might as well marinate extra for future meals. With this recipe, you can enjoy barbecue tofu steaks one night and then reuse the leftovers throughout the week.
Waste Free Tip: cooked tofu can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge, and marinated tofu for up to 4 months in the freezer.
CAN SUBSTITUTE: Strawberries with 2 Tbsp strawberry jam or 4 Tbsp other mashed or puréed fruits like mango, cherries, pears, or blueberries
Spicy Chipotle Strawberry Tofu
- 2 blocks extra-firm tofu
For the Marinade
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion grated, with its juice
- 3 Tbsp vinegar such as apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 Tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 cup soy or tamari sauce
- 1/2 cup mashed or puréed strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- oil for grilling
Optional Add Ins:
- fresh hardy herbs, splash of barbecuey booze like whisky or bourbon
- Lay each block of tofu on a clean tea towel and pat dry. Let it rest so the moisture is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the desired marinade ingredients together. You could also use a blender.
- Cut the tofu into 1⁄2-inch steaks. Place them in a container and cover with the marinade. Seal. Marinate the barbecue sauce in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours, and the black bean sauce for at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.
- Once marinated, preheat a grill or cast-iron pan over high heat. Lightly oil the grill and then barbecue each side of the tofu, brushing excess marinade on the tofu while grilling, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
3 days in the fridge, and marinated tofu for up to 4 months in the freezer CAN SUBSTITUTE • Strawberries with 2 Tbsp strawberry jam or 4 Tbsp other mashed or puréed fruits like mango, cherries, pears, or blueberries