Move over banana, I got a fever for the flavour of plantain. With only 4-ingredients you can make this grain-free (Paleo) super-nutritious pancakes. Using a blender for this batter means you get a smooth consistency that comes together in less than a minute. Plus the subtly-sweet flavour makes them the perfect on-the-go snack. I love making little almond butter sandwiches with them.
Plantain Tips: You can buy plantains green, yellow and dark yellow with black patches. Green plantains taste more like potatoes. They are starchy, harder to peel, and you probably won’t like the taste of them raw. To get the full nutritional content of plantains it is better to cook them first. Plantains are fully ripe when their peel turns dark yellow studded with black spots. They will taste sweeter, more like a banana, and can be eaten raw. Green plantains are easier to peel when placed under running water. Plantains have more starch than bananas, are lower in sugar content and are an excellent source of carbohydrates.
- 2 ripe plantains
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- oil or butter for cooking
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- In a large non stick pan, add a little oil or melt some butter to cook pancakes. Ladle batter into pancakes about 2-3 inches in diameter. They are more difficult to flip than regular pancakes so best to keep them on the smaller side.
- Once browned on the bottom, flip to cook on on the other side. Transfer to plate an enjoy!