Crispy Veggie Skins Use Up: vegetable skins and peels
Not only does eating the peels of fruits and vegetables save prep time, but it also adds fibre and nutrients to your diet.
Baked or fried, crispy potato skins are a great treat. So, why not transform other types of vegetable skins or peels? That’s right, we’re taking potato skins on a ride with some other veggie friends. Use these veggie crisps as a snack, garnish, or salad topping.
Food 911 Since they brown easily, potato peels should be used ASAP. Other peels can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Avocado oil is great for frying and searing, with its neutral taste and high smoke point of 520°F, compared to grapeseed at 420°F and olive oil at around 400°F.
Crispy Veggie Skins
- 1 cup peels from washed vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes, zucchini, apples even.
- high smoke point oil for frying such as vegetable, grapeseed, or avocado
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- splash Balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grated hard cheese such as Parmesan
- dash chili powder, curry powder, or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Using a salad spinner, dry the vegetable peels. You want them dried well.
- In a large Dutch oven or high-sided heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F to 375°F. Measure the temperature with a thermometer or test the oil by submerging the back of a wooden spoon into the oil. If the oil bubbles around the wood, it is ready. In the meantime, line a plate with paper towel.
- Fry the peels, in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding, until crispy, 2 to3 minutes. Place on the paper towel–lined plate and while still warm, season with salt and pepper and any optional seasoning. Serve warm.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet. Drizzle the peels with a little oil. Season with salt and pepper and any optional seasonings.
- Transfer to the prepared sheet and roast until crispy, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
I don’t know about you, but I love crispy veggie skins. Check out my other zero waste tips and follow me on Instagram for more exclusive tricks!