Did you know it can take up to two years for a banana peel to decompose? Eating the peels of the foods we eat reduces our foodprint and can also be better for our bodies, especially in the case of bananas. They have fiber (both soluble and insoluble), potassium, magnesium, B6, B12, vitamin A, lutein, and antioxidants. And they go great in this chutney, which tastes like a mixture between ratatouille and baba ghanoush. Believe me, nobody will be able to guess that this chutney was made out of banana peels. In fact, I placed a bet recently at a dinner party, and nobody could guess!
Zero-Waste Tip: Next time you make a post-workout smoothie, try tossing the whole banana in there, peel (stem removed) and all. The other yummy stuff cancels out any bitter flavor.
Check out my banana peel chutney recipe and see what you think!
Banana Peel Chutney
- 2 banana peels Peels (stems removed) from 2 bananas, diced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup diced onion, red
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch knob ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup diced bell poppers
- 1/2 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 inch square tamarind paste, seeds removed
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
optional add ins:
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- In a pot, simmer the peels in boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a small saucepot over medium heat, add the oil and mustard seeds and sauté until the seeds are popping, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, chili, tamarind paste, salt, pepper, and any other optional add-ins. Sauté for a few more minutes until everything is softened.
- Add the orange juice, cinnamon, allspice, and banana peels and simmer for about 5 minutes or until everything is thickened and saucy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Keep chunky or blend in a food processor or blender for a smoother consistency
If you enjoyed my Banana Peel Chutney recipe, be sure to follow me on Instagram and to check out my other recipes.