My spiced up version of this lemon poppy seed loaf is bright, tangy and speckled with a variety of super seeds. A great way to use up a whole lemon, and a whack of seeds. A thick slice of this loaf is the perfect companion to afternoon tea. I use coconut oil, nut milk and ground flax to make this vegan. If the mild liquorice tones of anise seem too adventurous for you, try ground cardamom. Cardamom will lend a lightly floral fragrance and minty flavour.
Bring this Vegan Lemon Seed and Spice Loaf to your next business meeting—food bribery is a powerful tool in the workplace and everyone loves a good lemon loaf.
Zero Waste Tip
I don’t know how many times I have gone to bake something only to find an empty milk or egg carton in the fridge. Having flax or chia seeds in the pantry along with a tetra pack of shelf-stable almond milk means that I always have a backup. 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of ground chia or flax mixed with 3 Tbsp (45 mL) water can replace 1 egg.
Lemon, Seed & Spice Loaf
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ¾ cup honey warmed if too thick
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil +extra for greasing
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp ground pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1¾ cup spelt or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground anise or cardamom
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together wet ingredients with lemon zest and seeds. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk remaining dry ingredients together.
- Stir dry into wet ingredients until just combined. The batter will be on the runny side but don’t worry.
- If wanting to add frozen wild blueberries, fold into batter now.
- Pour into greased pan and bake 30–40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy my tangy Vegan Lemon Seed and Spice Loaf. For more loaf recipes, check out my collection here. For more up-to-date tips and tricks, follow me on Facebook and Instagram for the latest.