Bought too many zucchini and forgot about them? Just because they are wrinkled doesn’t mean you can’t still turn them into something new! Like these…
ZUCCHINI OATMEAL CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN SEED COOKIES
Other easy ways to use up a wrinkled zucchini or two: 1. Use it up in a stew or soup. 2. Grate it and bake it into a cake or loaf. 3. Zucchini fritters? Why not!
Oatmeal, Chocolate, and Pumpkin Seed Zucchini Cookies
- 1½ cups grated zucchini (about 2 regular sized)
- 2 cups large flake or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup AP flour or flour of choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- good pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 egg room tempurature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- pumpkin seeds for hemp or sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds for chopped or whole nuts
- After grating zucchini, place in a colander over the bowl and gently squeeze to drain any excess water. Let sit and drain while preparing the dough.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and mix until combined, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the maple syrup and vanilla and continue to mix until combined.
- In 2 additions, add in the dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl in between additions.
- On low speed, fold zucchini into the dough until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds as well.
- Cover dough and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 days. If chilling for longer than a few hours, allow sitting at room temperature for at about 20 minutes before scooping and baking.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line baking sheets.
- Scoop dough in heaping Tbsps for each cookie, and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned. For crispier edges, bake for 15 minutes. These cookies will not flatten too much, so if you want flatter cookies, press balls of dough down with fingers before baking.
- Remove from the oven to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week. Freezer friendly.