Yes, you can make a jam-like spread with just 2 simple ingredients. Fruit and chia seeds. This nutritionally dense jam is made with very little added sugar, boasting all the natural sweetness of wild blueberries, and thickened with chia seeds instead of pectin. I added the vanilla bean, fresh ginger and lemon for added flavor, but feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors like orange zest and cardamom or cinnamon and nutmeg. Try this recipe swapping out the blueberries with any fresh or stored frozen fruit you have.
Wild Blueberry Chia Jam
- 3 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 lemon zest and fresh juice from
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds from inside of bean with back of knife. Place seeds as well as vanilla bean pod in a medium sized saucepot.
- Add blueberries, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, and ginger. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until blueberries begin to burst.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until juices are reduced by half.
- Remove from heat, taste, add more maple syrup if desired. Stir in chia seeds and cook for 1 additional minute to soften seeds.
- Let jam cool slightly, transfer to heat proof jars or containers and chill until ready to use.
- 2 weeks in the fridge, freezer friendly for up to 2 months.