I thought dal was always a very specific version of stewed lentils until I started digging into more Indian curries. Dal is actually a term used for any legume but also refers to a multitude of splendidly spiced humble stews where legumes are simmered until mushy and served over or with cooked grains or bread, like roti. This apple curry dal recipe is a simple, vegan stew that delivers huge flavor, comforting smells, and full bellies using pantry staples and that one lost apple rolling around the bottom of your crisper.
USES UP apples, dried lentils, coconut milk, stock, and spices.
Food 911: Did you know 1 serving (1⁄2 cup cooked) of lentils contains 9 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber?
Can Substitute: Apples with pears or Asian pears and dried lentils with dried pigeon peas, mung beans, or split black chickpeas (note that the cooking time may vary).
Turkey Apple Curry Dal
- 2 Tbsp oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1-2 1 large or 2 small apples (unpeeled), grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 1/2 cups dried red or black lentils, or a combination of both
- 1 14 oz. can Coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable stock or stock of choice or poultry stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice (optional)
Optional Add Ins
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2-1 cup dried currants, raisins, or chopped dried apricots
- 1/4-1/2 cup seeds, nuts, or toasted coconut
- 6-8 dollops plain yogurt
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped cilantro, mint, or basil
- In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, add the oil and then add the cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. Stir the spices until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and lentils and stir to coat in oil and spices. Stir in any optional add-ins.
- Add the coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer,stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and mushy, 20 to 25 minutes. If adding in leftover cooked protein such as turkey or chicken, add in now to heat through for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Serve with garnishes, if desired.
- Serve and divide the garnishes among the serving bowls.
If you enjoyed my apple curry dal recipe, be sure to check out my other apple-friendly recipes and my vegan-friendly dishes. Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn for more exclusive recipes, events, appearance, as well as more tricks and tips to become a zero waste kitchen.